You might also like these other locations.
Artisan Trail/Artisan Trail-Public/Community ArtUpstate PA/Bradford/Attraction/Museums
1819 Orwell Hill Road
P.O. Box 153
Rome, PA 18837
Phone: (570) 247-7175
This hands-on textile museum offers a variety of programs and workshops using tools and techniques of early America for spinning, weaving, natural dying and woodworking.
Mile Marker: 275-Turn north in Wysox onto Route 187. Follow approximately 12 miles and turn right on to SR 1036. Continue 2 miles to 1819 Orwell Hill Road.
Upstate PA/Bradford/ToursUpstate PA/Bradford/Heritage & History
20 Main Street
Wyalusing, PA 18853
Wyalusing's Middendorf Hotel was the centerpiece of the community from the late 1800's until it was razed in 1984. It once held the distinction of being the region's most frequently photographed building.
In 1752, Chief Paupunhank, along with approximately twenty families, built the village of Wyalusing on the ashes of where the destroyed settlement had stood earlier. Their houses, for the most part, were constructed of split logs.
During the Revolutionary War, white settlers in the town sought refuge at the settlement of Wyoming, Pennsylvania. In 1778, Wyalusing was burned to the ground by Indians sympathizing with the British. After the Revolutionary War, the settlers slowly returned to the town.
Through the 1800s, Wyalusing served as a hub for the shipment of logs down the Susquehanna River and grew as a commercial center for the surrounding farms. The Welles Mill Company, established along the Wyalusing Creek in 1820, was a prime reason settlers came to reside in the town and farm the surrounding countryside. The present town is comprised of farmlands once owned by the Gaylord family.
As the town grew, it became a shipping center on the North Branch Canal which followed the Susquehanna River through this region and crossed the Wyalusing Creek by way of an aqueduct. Still later, in the mid-1800s, the railroad was built through this area and Wyalusing became a main shipping point for livestock, grain, lumber and flagstone. The town's business section, which was built mainly between 1820 and the early 1900s has been fortunate in escaping any serious fires such as have swept through other towns in this area. Consequently, the charming, old store fronts still exist today as they were more than a century ago.
Wyalusing was incorporated as a borough in 1887, the same year as the town's newspaper, "The Wyalusing Rocket-Courier," began publication.
In the mid-1920s, Wyalusing became a main shipping center for fresh milk, and the nucleus for a vast dairy industry. The logging industry, after subsiding for a period of time, has again come into prominence in order to meet the supply needs of local timber industries. The Taylor Packing Co., Inc., located just outside the town, is presently one of the largest meat processing industries on the east coast.
Today, Wyalusing is the center of the region's educational system, a large junior/senior high school and several elementary schools. The school district's area, comprising more than 300 square miles, is one of the largest areas in Pennsylvania.
Citizens of Wyalusing are proud of their heritage and take deep pride in their town's history.
Upstate PA/Bradford/Shopping/Locally Made Products
HC 34 Box 31
Warren Center, PA 18851