Bradford County Veterans Memorial Park
Upstate PA/Bradford/AttractionUpstate PA/Bradford/Heritage & HistoryUpstate PA/Bradford/Attraction/Museums
Corner of Route 6 and Franklin Street
804 Main Street
Towanda, PA 18848
Business Hours: Outside Park, Open Year-Round for the Public
The Bradford County Veteran’s Memorial Park Association is constructing a site to highlight the traditions and national heritage of our local men and women who have served in our armed forces. This project will stand as a traditional stonework honorarium focusing on those who have served our country from the inception of our nation in 1775 up to and including present day conflicts. Once fully completed, the project will honor those who have defended our sovereignty and kept us safe from harm past, present and future. Our goal is to build a patriotic educational tool cast in granite and bronze which will stand the test of time with minimal maintenance.
· The membership personnel of the Bradford County Veterans Memorial Park Association are all volunteers with no salaried employees. Their only goal is to serve the veteran community in our county.
· Partnered with and co-hosted by the Borough of Towanda, the project site is located on Borough owned land, earmarked and donated specifically for this use. All financial management is administered by Towanda Borough in accordance with its fully audited municipal accounting procedures and standards.
· Upon completion, the park will be a natural complement to the many public improvement and community based projects that have occurred in the County over the last 25 years. These improvements have been the result of a comprehensive revitalization and redevelopment strategy developed by the Local Government to capitalize on the county seats’ rich history and natural resources.
· Part and parcel yet inseparable in concept, the project includes a parking for use by the general public. Additionally a concrete sidewalk leads to the existing walking trail along the Susquehanna River, up to the Senator Roger A. Madigan Gateway Park, One Progress Center and the nationally registered Towanda Historic District which includes the Towanda Central Business District.
· Serving as a trailhead, the parking lot and walkway serve a dual purpose providing safe entrance and easy exit from the veterans’ heritage site. Benches, lighting and trash containers will be placed at convenient and necessary locations throughout the area. The park is accessible to the handicapped via ramps and handrails.
· The park will afford many areas for the general public to relax for lunch, sightsee, meditate, perhaps find a spiritual connection and enjoy family gatherings while walking through this historic landmark facility.
· In summary, the principle goal of this park is to educate those who may not know the contributions made by our veterans to keep our nation free. The park elicits pride, honor, respect and a sense of awe to those who read the inscriptions on the various monuments and plaques.
Go Back »