Founded by members of the local Fire Department, the Honesdale Fire Museum aims to share and preserve the history of firefighting and fire prevention both locally and in the U.S. with the public.
“Located at the corner of Park and Main in the Protection Engine Company No. 3 Station, the museum collection centers around the fully operable 3rd size 1874 Silsby Steamer. The steamer was purchased new by Honesdale Borough and Protection Eng. Co. No. 3.” Source: Honesdale Fire Museum on Facebook
“In Honesdale In 1875 Protection Company No. 3 purchased this steam engine new from Silsby Manufacturing Co. of Seneca Falls, NY. for $4,700, including a hose cart. The steamer was named the ‘A.M.Atkinson’ in honor of the President of Honesdale’s Town Council. Despite its efficiency, it did not always master the fires that took place. These included the Allen House barn, Whitney Brothers stables, and nearby building on May 18, 1877; much of Seelyville destroyed on April 24. 1879, and Jadwin’s Drug Store on September 1, 1882.
“The engine was rebuilt by the LaFrance Fire Engine Co. of Elmira, NY, in 1890 and saw service until 1936. It was completely restored in 1986 and, according to a 1991 newspaper article, it ‘has not failed to place first in muster competition ever since’. This oldest operable Silsby steamer in the United States can be seen at Protection Company #3’s fire hall on the corner of North Main and Park Street, Honesdale, and in local parades.” Source: Wayne County Historical Society