“Do 6” in Smethport, PA
Welcome to Smethport, Pennsylvania!
The Pennsylvania Heritage Community of Smethport—number 5 on a list of 10 Best Small Towns in Pennsylvania for Peace & Quiet—provides that coveted slow-living atmosphere but is far from boring! Smethport’s rich heritage and abundance of natural resources have contributed to a currently thriving economy, spirit of entrepreneurism, and passion for historic preservation. This can be seen in Smethport’s impressive Mansion District, vibrant business district, and its centerpiece, Hamlin Lake.
“Do 6” Mile Markers: 149-150
Tourism Region: PA Wilds
Top 6 Ways to “Do 6” in Smethport, PA:
1. Explore the Historic Smethport Mansion District – Download the Smethport Mansion District Walking Tour Brochure and peruse Smethport’s impressive mansions.
2. Relax and Do Some Birdwatching in Hamlin Lake Park – Stroll along the paths of Smethport’s Hamlin Lake Park, then find a relaxing bench to enjoy some peaceful birdwatching.
3. Explore the Allegheny National Forest on Wolfinger Trails – Hike along Wolfinger Trails, maintained by the Potato Creek Trail Association, and get up close and personal with the Allegheny National Forest and its wildlife.
4. Visit Pennsylvania’s 6th Most Haunted Place, the Old Jail Museum! – Take in some local history at the McKean County Historical Society within the restored Old Jail Museum, but step lightly – a resident ghost is said to haunt the downstairs dungeon!
5. Float Down the Allegheny River – Enjoy the scenery along the Allegheny River – by kayak or canoe!
6. Have Lunch at the Smethport Drive-In – Stop at the Smethport Drive-In for an affordable family-friendly meal served up with a side of nostalgia.
Smethport Contact Information:
Smethport Community Work Plan
“Do 6” in McKean County
More PA Heritage Communities: