“Do 6” in Wayne County, Pennsylvania
Welcome to Wayne County, PA!
The first steam train in America ran here. The boom to elect Abraham Lincoln began here. Presidents and kings sought products from here. Wayne County has inspired a number of historic moments. Your visit here promises to be just as memorable.
“Do 6” – Things to Do in Wayne County, PA:
1. Explore Hawley’s Industrial Legacy – Witness evidence of the county’s prosperous past and industrial legacy in Hawley including a renovated silk mill and an 1850’s Gravity Railroad passenger car.
2. Trace the Path of the Delaware & Hudson Canal – Trace the path of the Delaware and Hudson Canal where, during the mid-1800s, coal was moved from the mines to market via this revolutionary system of transportation. Remnants of the canal are still visible today.
3. Learn Something New at the Waymart Area Historical Society – Learn more about the two modes of transportation, the Delaware and Hudson Canal and the Gravity Railroad, at the Waymart Area Historical Society’s Gravity Railroad Depot.
4. Explore Early Steam Locomotion – Visit the Wayne County Historical Society to see a replica of the Stourbridge Lion, America’s first steam locomotive, which took its maiden voyage in Honesdale.
5. Marvel at the Beauty of Cut Glass – Spend some time at the Dorflinger Glass Museum in White Mills to appreciate the cut-glass works of Christian Dorflinger, who created exquisite pieces for everyone from President Lincoln to the Prince of Wales!
6. Spend Some Time Relaxing on the Lake – Swim, boat, fish or enjoy the shoreline of Lake Wallenpaupack, Pennsylvania’s third-largest man-made lake.
Wayne County’s Amazing Prospects:
Each county along the Pennsylvania Heritage Corridor brings distinct “amazing prospects”—unique and alluring sites, landmarks, and attractions that tell tales of oil, coal, timber, and crops. Let’s look at Wayne County’s…
National Recreation Trail Adventures in Wyane County:
Each county along the Pennsylvania Heritage Corridor brings a unique system of top-notch trails and new opportunities for adventures amidst that county’s natural beauty, rich heritage, and welcoming communities. Let’s see what adventures we can find on the trails of Wyane County, PA…